Want to team up with others who want to eat healthier, lose weight and get in better shape inside a virtual 30-Day Health Challenge? Join us for an exciting "30-Day Discover Your Optimal Health Challenge" starting Mon. 7/1/13! Exclusive excerpts from Dr. Wayne Andersen's NEW book will be featured throughout the Challenge and they will empower you to Discover Your Optimal Health, Slim Down this Summer and Take Shape For Life! See details and register at https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/913513138
This is Dr. Wayne Scott Andersen, the Medical Director and Co-Founder the Health/Weight Loss Coaching Program, we support. He is viewed as one of the country's leading authorities on Health and Wellness. His new book is a "Game Changer" and it will be on the New York Times Best Seller list!
Check it out here as a pre-release special http://bit.ly/19pZfXi
Have you ever wished you could leverage your nursing skills to work from home?
Have you ever wanted to be your own boss, but did not know where to start?
Have you ever wanted to help your patients more, but felt like your hands were tied?
Have you ever wished you could have more control over how you spend your time,without having to ask for "permission" to spend time with what's important to you?
If you have answered yes to any of these questions, watch this video to see how nurses are finding more flexibility, purpose, and balance in what they do for a living through Health Coaching.
During this video, you will learn:
1. What is Health coaching
2. Why nurses are fully qualified to take on the Health Coaching and entrepreneur roles
3. What makes Health Coaching a simple path to business ownership
4. How to become a Health Coach
5. Where to start to create an immediate income and impact.
Since 2001, we have been the cutting-edge leader in optimal health coaching. As one of the top 10 companies and one of the fastest growing businesses in the country, we educate and transform the lives of our clients and coaches with the most comprehensive coaching system in the country.
Our health coaching program teaches you a wide variety of skills in health coaching including steps to achieve optimal physical and mental health and how to run a financially healthy coaching business. As a Certified Health Coach, you’ll gain a clear understanding of the simple path you can guide individuals on regardless of their health status (morbidly obese to tri-athletes). Plus we'll teach you how to continue to transform your life while guiding others on their journey.
We understand the challenges you face in the nursing field so we've designed our Health Coach Training Program to empower each of our certified coaches with the confidence, knowledge and skills to create the healthy career and lifestyle they’ve always imagined. In this webinar you will learn how you can become a Certified Health Coach through our online Health Institute and partnership with Villanova University School of Nursing and the Center for Obesity Prevention and Education (C.O.P.E.) in less than 30 days without ever leaving your home or workplace to attend classes.
For more information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 951-757-5103.
Ever experience a "food hangover"? You know the morning after a night of binge eating or eating unhealthy foods that give you a stomach ache, head ache and terrible taste in your mouth. Often times, food addicts swear off they'll never repeat such an incident and before long they're right back in the same situation.
So what do you do if you have this experience and you want to correct your faltering ways? You must identify the triggers that lead you into this scenario so you can break the behavioral chain. What were you feeling leading up to prior to this overdose of sugary, starchy and/or fat ladened foods? Who were you with? Where were you? Why do you feel like you made this unhealthy choice?
“In general, mankind, since the improvement in cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Maybe it wasn't all emotional eating for you. Perhaps it was the portion distortion that got you a little confused. The key to weight loss and to managing a healthy body is to first be aware of the basics such as what you are eating, why, how much and where are you eating it? These simple questions can tell us a lot about where we’re at and where we need to go to get healthier.
Here’s an important question to ponder. Do you eat foods for entertainment vs. searching for foods that fuel for your body for energy and performance? If you’re like most other Americans, you’re answer is probably “entertainment” as it’s become such a major part of our culture. This means you’re likely consuming more energy than your body needs for optimal performance.
Most of us can improve our health simply through improving our nutrition balance in our daily snacks and meals and with a little better portion control. Most of us need some nutrition and portions training as the knowledge that got us into our current health status will probably not lead us to better health.
“What should I be eating? What are proper portion sizes and how many calories should I eat in a day?” These are common questions for anyone trying to lose weight or get into better shape. So what does the body actually need and how can I balance this with what I want to eat? This is where it gets a little tricky. Each of us is different and our bodies use different amounts of fuel to perform at our best.
The problem is nowadays the plates in most of our homes and restaurants are 12-14” and most of us are not burning enough calories to consume the larger the portion sizes. To lose 1 lb the average person needs to burn an extra 3500 calories. Now the average person burns about 3500 calories running a full marathon (26.2 miles). Do you get the point? It takes more activity and exercise then we think to burn off our over eating. Just look at these examples of commonly ordered appetizers and meals in the marketplace…
Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries & Ranch Dressing
2,900 calories, 182 g fat, 240 g carbs
Macaroni Grill Spaghetti and Meatballs with Meat Sauce
2,430 calories, 128 g fat, 207 g carbs)
Today’s fast foods are filled with more empty calories, unhealthy fats, salt (sodium), sugar (high fructose corn syrup) and other unnatural food chemicals. They are designed for our taste buds and not for our nutrition. In light of this you’ll want to make healthier choices on what to order and definitely use a smaller 7 to 9” plate (or the inner ring of the larger plate) as a portion guide. You’ll also need a general understanding of how many calories you’re burning in a day.
To find out how many calories you’re burning (your Total Energy Expenditure or TEE) using the easy method, use the following formula:
Your current weight (in pounds) x 11 calories = TEE (daily caloric need)
This formula is based on a sedentary individual, so you’ll need to adjust it as you step up your exercising, as follows:
Multiply your TEE by:
1.2 (for light exercise)
1.5 (for moderate exercise)
1.7 (for heavy exercise)
For example: 162 lbs × 11 kcal/lb = 1,782 kcal × 1.2 = 2,138 kcal/day (TEE)
You can use the formulas below to determine your calorie-burn while running and walking. Scientists consider this the best way to evaluate the actual calorie-burn of any exercise.
1 mile of running = .63 x your weight
1 mile of walking = .30 x your weight
This basic information can guide you to better balanced nutrition and calorie intake but you’ll need a more personalized plan to help you get the specific results you desire.
Holidays such as Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, or any picnic holiday can cause breakdowns in our otherwise healthy Take Shape for Life eating plan. It is extremely important to be very aware that picnics can pack thousands of calories that we would not normally indulge in. So, what should you do?
1. Continue to practice your healthy eating habits on the picnic day. Do not skip meals or save calories for the “big meal”. That sets you up to overeat!
2. If going to a party or picnic, offer to bring an appetizer and side dish. This will guarantee you there will be healthy choices for you.
3. Be watchful of your portions and choose NOT to have the dessert! Instead, maybe bring a box of sugar free popsicles to share with the crowd or have a cup of coffee instead. If you're not in the weight loss phase enjoy dessert but be mindful of your portion sizes and how much exercise or activity you're doing to burn it off.
4. Make sure that you do not slack off from your daily exercise routine the day of the picnic. Try adding 10 or 15-minute brisk walks twice that day with available family members or the partygoers. Plan active activities such as crochet, bike riding, or taking a hike instead of sitting around and talking or watching TV.
5. If you are throwing the party, have lots of vegetables available, instead of chips only. Prepare lower fat dips and offer salsa. Explain to your guests in advance your determination to make this a healthier holiday celebration, and ask them to keep this in mind when preparing any dish they may be bringing.
6. Stay away from high calorie beverages such as sodas, juices, smoothies, and blended coffee drinks. There are nearly 150 calories in one 12-ounce can of soda or juice. Smoothies and coffee drinks are often 250-500 calories, excluding the whipped cream. Alcohol is packed full of calories and carbs. It can also cause you to let down your defenses and overeat or make poor food choices. All of these indulgences will kick you out of the fat burning stage (if in weight loss phase) and you’ll set yourself back 3 days on your journey to your goal weight.
7. Make sure to have a Medifast supplement before going to the picnic... ALWAYS plan ahead.
8. At the picnic choose healthy foods and stay away from the chips and bread and corn.
9. If the holiday party is at your house, send some of the left-overs home with your guests, especially the desserts!
10. Remember to eat slowly, which will help you to eat less and feel full and satisfied.
11. During holiday weekends, make your goal to maintain your weight and not to gain any!
12. Be positive. Don’t let your weight and cravings take control of you.
13. Holiday traveling, don’t forget to pack convenient snacks! Put healthy snacks and meal replacements in zip lock bags and use them to cushion around items in your suitcase. Also bring a cooler full of fresh vegetables and water.
14. Remember the reason for the season and focus on 'fellowship' and not on 'food'!
15. Habits are habit forming... People form habits but habits transform people! Let's Take Shape for Life! Let’s transform our thinking about what we eat and why we eat it. Let’s make it a habit to select healthy foods as part of our ‘prescription for life’!
Have a Happy and Healthy Spring and Summer Picnic Season!
Extraordinary Health Coaching
dba eLifePlans LLC
P.O. Box 191
Pella, IA 50219
Order Products/Update Your Account - purchase healthy snacks, drinks and fast and convenient meals to keep your body fueled every 2-3 hours.
Community & Helpful Resources - Access BMI Calculators, Free Health Assessments, Program Guides and other tools.
Recipe Corner - See all kinds of great recipes for healthy meal options you can make quickly.
Weekly Support Calls - Gain access to our weekly Nurse and Doctor calls and Habits of Health support calls.
Launch an Exciting Career as a Certified Health Coach
Wednesday, Jun. 19, 2013
Starts: 9pm EDT, 8pm CDT, 7pm MDT, 6pm PDT
Are you a Registered nurse (RN), Nurse Practitioner, head nurse, nurse supervisor, Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), nursing home nurse, Home Health Nurse, nursing aide, chiropractic assistant, physical therapy assistant or do you play a supporting role in the health industry?
If you are and you'd like to get healthier while coaching others to do the same than we'd like for you to consider becoming a Certified Health Coach on our Extraordinary Team of Health Coaches.
Learn more and register now! https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/174465074
Coaching and Strategy Session
Request a Complimentary Coaching Session and receive complimentary access to our comprehensive health assessment and meet live in a 15 min. tele-coaching session with a Certified Health & Lifestyle Coach to create your personal Extraordinary Healthy Lifestyle Action Plan!
I record encouraging and motivational videos on a variety of success topics.
Watch the latest videos!
I like to share helpful tips, articles and ideas.
Read my latest blog posts!
Motivation and Coaching tools and resources
U.S. Health Statistics