When we think of Halloween we think of ghosts, goblins and candy! Loads of it and it can be scarier than the goblins toting it around! For those of us with a sweet tooth, what is to become of us on Halloween night? Here's a few other helpful tips to remember when your sweet tooth is twitching…
1) DO NOT buy any Halloween candy! Or, buy candy that you do not like. It is better to give out small packets of pretzels or play-do or fruit roll ups.
2) Keep in your mind that there will always be candy, but you are choosing to improve your health right now, and candy will not help you reach your goal!
3) Make your own fudge cycles by freezing a healthy chocolate protein shake.
4) Freeze crystal light for a fruity, candy-like desert.
5) Sugar free jell-o is a great candy-like snack
6) Do not stay at home on Halloween handing out your treats. Instead, grab a bottle of water and take a nighttime walk around the neighborhood to take in all the ghoulish sights!
7) Bring healthy snacks to work to keep from being tempted by candy in the office.
8) Cut up a protein bar and put it in a baggie. Freeze it for a sweet treat later!
9) A great idea to help keep the piles of candy from going into your children’s body…Have them pick out 5 pieces of candy out of their bag and “buy” the rest of the bag from them for 10 dollars and then take them to the toy store to get a prize! Remember to throw the bags of candy away or give to a shelter!
10) Stay in touch with your Health Coach.
Remember, a great analogy is the concert pianist. If you were a child, and you wanted to be a concert pianist (primary goal) you would need to practice every day (secondary goal), and make choices that may not be your favorite (not get to play with friends, travel, lessons, miss parties, miss play dates, etc.)
But you would perform these secondary goals if it helps you to reach your primary goal. Well, we are doing the same thing. Our primary goal is to lose weight, get healthy and live an extraordinary life. Some secondary goals are…exercise daily, drink water, stay away from extra carbohydrates and starches, possibly decide not to go to some parties and do not eat Halloween candy!
We will make these secondary choices because it will help us to reach what is most important to us right now to lose weight, feel great and to achieve our goals and dreams!