As you continue on your journey to live a healthier lifestyle there will be events and celebrations that pop up like Super Bowl Parties. If you are prepared for these special functions, you will find it much easier to stick to your healthy living plan and achieve your goals.
1. Call the host to find out what foods they will be having and volunteer to bring an appetizer or meal side dish. Choose to bring a veggie tray or lean and green salad.
2. Remember that alcohol is loaded with calories and it's an appetite stimulant. Alcohol will also let down your defenses and you will be more apt to fall for temptations. Choose club soda, diet soda or a flavored water to minimize the "penalties" of taking in too many calories while watching the big game .
3. Don’t change your exercise routine the day of the party. Get in 20-30 minutes of focused exercise if you can. Remember not to focus on what you CAN'T do but rather what you CAN do.
4. Make the occasion a social event and focus on your friends and fun. Nudge your friends, family and neighbors to get healthier by make a wager using exercise as the payment of choice. If your team wins, the other team’s fans have to do a push ups for every point your team scored.
5. When the party is at your house, use low calorie and fat free salad dressings for dips. Have plenty of healthy snacks for you such as almonds, celery stalks and other fresh cut veggies.
6. Make a decision about what you are going to eat before you go. Have a written plan or you will fall into the plans of other people.
7. Make a decision about what you will say to those who try to push fattening food on you. Be ready to respond. If someone asks "Are you on a diet?" say "No, I'm just trying to make healthier choices."
8. Have a healthy meal, snack or meal replacement bar/shake before you go to curb your appetite.
9. Get up during half time and walk outside (weather permitting) or do some stretching.
10. Stand away from the food table and engage in conversation. Use a small plate to put your healthy food items on, and then walk away.
11. Bring a protein shake or protein bar with you in case there are not good food choices at the party, especially if you will be there for 3 hours.
12. Help serve and clean up. Keep busy and burn a few extra calories in the process.
P.S. I’m picking the 49er's. Let me know if you're up to the "push up" wager!